Saturday, January 4, 2014

First Layout of the Year!

 
What a thrill it was last night as I put on my finishing touches and completed (in one afternoon) my first layout of 2014! Excuse the poor picture quality, but I love the page so much I had to post it asap.
 
I was inspired by Sketch number 32 on Shimelle.com - her "sketch to scrapbook page" series always gives me a pattern to follow as closely as I want. Sometimes I completely reinvent my look, but this time I stuck to the pattern and I love the way my page turned out.
The main idea behind stacking all the photos, journaling, title, and embellishments on one side is that it leaves plenty of room for a gorgeous patterned background paper to show. Since I never seem to know what to do with those prints, I have practically eliminated them from my purchases in recent years. Which I realized as I went searching for one lol. The B sides of these larger patterns is usually something much more basic and that's what I tend to feel comfortable using. So what seemed like a really easy page to build actually took  me two or three dashes between chores into my scrap space to locate a background by Creative Imaginations,  and two photos that I could crop and stack.
These photos of the girls playing with Spunky the dog after mixing up some all natural, no sugar cookies are so fun and I love the expressions on all the subjects.  As Shimelle does on her example, I stacked some layers from an Echo Park pattern. That sheet is neat- on one side there are four patterns in 6x6 blocks, so I just used the two that seemed to go best. Under those I layered a beautiful peach woodgrain by SEI. I know you can't really see it, but it seemed to help bring all my colors together in a very unobvious way, Plus, I love woodgrain and SEI so its lovely just to have it in there for me :-)
Keeping my embellishment areas simple, a few pieces of  two border stickers from the same sheet the title came on look a bit like washi tape layers. I only added a few enamel baby themed dots and a couple twirls of bakers twine. Using a dot roller adhesive over the top of my twine before looping it onto my layout is an easy way to get my loops to stay put and not have to worry about messy glue getting all over the place.
For my title sticker, I had to use a bit of glue to get it to stick down.   To be honest, it's one sticker, that's been cut in two, and so you see part of the title on the left and the rest under the photos.  To be even more honest, it is a sticker Rainier and I used on a project a month ago, covering a Hubs peanut box with washi tape to brighten up the kitchen shelves a bit. Cause that's where the box is. Anyway, the stickers came off right away and I've had that Homemade Memories sticker stuck in a crack against the wall. Decorations in the kitchen! lol, I'm glad it has a home now where it won't get junked up.
So, what are your scrappy resolutions (if any) for this year? I'd love to hear of them!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment