Thursday, January 15, 2015

Putting a kit to rest with a goodnight kiss




Today I realized there is almost less than one month left until I leave for the sunny waters of the Western Caribbean with my bestie on a scrapbooking cruise... !!! Some of the excitement is finally being allowed to express itself in my compulsive mind list making and various other mental pre packings that I love to indulge in before a big trip.  Hot topics in my head today include clothing, scrapbook tools, and what I want to create while traveling to Cozumel, Belize City, and the Honduras on board the Navigator of the Seas.
My friend and I signed up for this cruise about a year and a half ago, so looking forward to going and having it swiftly approach is throwing me for a loop! Happily, I've developed some systems this last year that will make it easy to know what's important for me to have along. Number one is a great travelling companion. Granted, she may not read a map with confidence that it will produce great driving directions, but my DF has a youthful energy that matches my own. There will be a lot of days when our cheeks will hurt not just from endless buffet munching but all of the laughs shared. We'll be snorkeling and zip lining off shore- scrapable adventures await!
As you can see by this picture, I've made myself quite at home with a few supplies and photos on my tv tray. With just one solid cardstock, and a few patterns and die cuts, I was able to put my February 2014 Embellish It kit to rest and created two pages in a few hours. Since all five pictures used were taken the same day, I scrapped directly to the back of my layout once it was complete, for twice the use from my beloved papers!
Working in my living room late nights (watched the entire Sons of Anarchy only to be left hanging in its gut wrenchingly wrong ending) has taught me which tools I reach for over and over again: my paper trimmer, long handled scissors, adhesive. I can do pretty much anything with whats around with those items! Next comes corner rounder, precision scissors, foam adhesive, glue dots, chalk ink. Standard embellishments include baker's twine and bling! I love 12x12 sticker sheets, they have alphabets and phrases and icons what more can you want? Patterned papers, and cardstock optional. I have never been at a loss for materials on which to scrap when the desire rises.
Now, how to decide which photos to bring along... do I need an album? My kits will be packed in the sleeves...and oh yea, clothes! I found two bikini bottoms and tops that should mix and match well that I can feel confident in, and then fortunately a friend of mine gifted me shorts and blouses that will be perfect for the balmy weather. I chose my ensemble pieces much like I do when building a kit; a few coordinating shades of solids and patterns that coordinate well with embellishments that can be used multiple times :-) I will bring no clothing that needs ironing, so I can smoosh it all in there along with my allowed bottle of wine. Can we say no corking fee?!
Our cruise package is being put together by Gail and Sheri over at Cruise One out of Florida. They are so kind to speak with and hosted a fun giveaway last year which I happen to have won. So, I already have a little cruise-related paraphernalia in stock! As I mentioned, there will be a scrapbooking space available 24-7 for us to set up in, and classes with a favorite teacher of ours, Embellish It!'s Shelby Dredge! She puts together beautiful kits full of plenty of the products I love. I've been looking forward to spending more time with her, especially since interviewing her for one of the last editions of Die Cut Crazy late last year.
Thanks for stopping by today, and let me know- have you taken a cruise and thought later about what you didn't need to bring? Always wanted to go on a cruise and never had the time, money, partner etc? Leave me a comment and then go make something... a boat related theme to your project scores bonus points!

No comments:

Post a Comment