Saturday, October 17, 2015

Mixed Media Masters!

My last teaching session, I taught our local Homeschool Association youth the joys of mixed media. I wasn't sure how the lesson was going to go, but I knew we would all enjoy the thrill of a new project... I wasn't wrong. In the first session, a mixed group of ages 4-16, we talked about the colors of fall, what this time of year reminds us of, and how all of that information can be transformed into a piece of home décor.

Teach 'em young and learn in return <3
With that in mind, each kid began with their background. I encouraged them to mix colors, add texture with their paint brush, or even move the paint around with some paper towels crumpled up.
In our second session I was working with the older half of the group. As they entered our classroom, I could sense their excitement and that always makes it more invigorating for the teacher (me). Some of the students had already started building a scene with images from old greeting cards I'd brought along. Others were starting from their backgrounds. Each canvas transformed into works of individual expression- a win for everyone!
Below are some links to media mixing youtubers that I have watched and learned from.
A work of mine still in progress.
After shading with some markers,
this jar will jump off the canvas!
http://www.kwernerdesign.com Amazing stamping techniques and interactive die cutting.
http://www.jennifermcguireink.com The sweetest guru for all things amazing- and do-able.
http://www.clips-n-cuts.com Inspiration awaits on this site!
 

Rainier's little canvas surprised us all
 

No comments:

Post a Comment