Monday, September 9, 2013

Now Trending: Chalkboard Effects


It seems like everywhere I'm looking for creative inspiration I'm seeing lots and lots of chalkboard type elements. This morning I watched the Trendy Trios video on TwoPeas and was able to craft up this card with quickness.
My friends Angela had shown me a really easy way to achieve the look of chalkboard: simply stamp with white ink! Doi, right? Then I embossed with Close To My Heart's Clear Detail embossing powder. If I had white embossing powder I would've used that for more impact. After I stamped the images, I ran my finger over the stamp pad and softly spread a bit over the black card stock to simulate the eraser look we see in the classrooms.
Interestingly enough, my watercolor pencils look a lot like the spotty texture of chalk when colored on black as well. So filling in the flowers to match my card stock base kind of gave my card front the finishing touch I was looking for. Instead of using white card stock to mat, I chose a scratch piece of vellum, it was a much softer contrast. Black and white polka dot washi tape, a couple bling and it was on to the inside.
More scratch paper laid down over the tape to mask off the stamped flowers at the top, then, being a "waste not..." artist I used that piece on the bottom. Then I stamped the butterfly on another part of that scrap to tie it together
Nothing says chalkboard color like pastel, right?
 
I hope this first week back at school has gone well for you and frees up some more craft time for you! But I case it doesn't, if you leave me a comment by the end of the week I will enter your name in a drawing to win this featured card, as I'm celebrating my 100th blog post. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment